Not Constantinople

I originally designed this site to share photos of my trip to Turkey and Bulgaria in 2005 (hence the name) But as I'm currently living in London, this seems like the perfect place to share general updates and specific antecdotes...without running up my phone bill.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Problems with authority

So, I actually wrote this in an email to Jonathan, typing with my thumbs on my blackberry because I still had hours before my flight and I was really worked up by the little brat (not Jonathan, the chav to be named a few inches below). I meant to post it much sooner, but I was on my way to Houston for Easter, and I wasn't around a computer for awhile...anywho, the events might be out dated, but the frustrations were eternal.

Date: Apr 4, 2007 12:28 PM
Subject: Yep, too early

So I woke up at 7am dispite having gone to bed at 3:30. I felt refreshed and excited, but I had been in my office travel mode the night before (you know, since my flights usually left at 6am, I would do absolutely everything the night before including shower and picking out what to wear). I was antsy at home (because I was ready to go something like 20 minutes after I'd stepped out of bed even with a healthy amount of dawdling) so I left 90 minutes earlier than I had even considered logical. I got to gatwick a full 3.5 hours early, to catch a mid-day mid-week flight. It took me a total of less than 15 minutes to check in and clear security...and that even counts doubling back for a cigarette after the 17 year old power-junkie told me my carry on was too big ("well maybe it was okay elsewhere, but never from Gatwick. Please leave the queue and check it" Dick.). So I left the queue, made a loop, smoked a cigarette and decided to go through the other end of the line, and if the little chav called me out I would say I'd gone to the loo and repacked it in hopes that it would meet their regulations. (Insert eyelash batting and a feigned southern accent as needed) Luckily he was on a power trip with a mob of german tourists about the type of baggy they had for their liquids or something trivial. The much more realistic woman I passed waved me after visually measuring the bag.

Funny that I'm so annoyed still, I mean, I got away with it. And as a seasoned traveller I tend to accept that 1 in 3 trips I'm going to be hassled for one reason or another - I consider that my security bill, if you will. It's what I have to put up with for safer air travel. (Or at least the appearance of safer air travel) it must have been his attitude. I really don't get too burned up about donating lighters or taking off my shoes (which I didn't have to do here) Or hell, even having 2 weeks of dirty laundry laid bare by customs. It all comes down to courtesy. At least the kid's getting his satisfaction here instead of getting a job at a daycare or senior citizens centre, picking on the weak.

Ok, I've spun this way out of proportion. Maybe he just hadn't had enough coffee. But more importantly, why do we have teens working airport security now?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home