Not Constantinople

I originally designed this site to share photos of my trip to Turkey and Bulgaria in 2005 (hence the name) But as I'm currently living in London, this seems like the perfect place to share general updates and specific antecdotes...without running up my phone bill.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Food etc.

Look at me, 2 posts in 1 week!

I just got back from the Notting Hill Farmer's Market (about a 10 minute walk from my flat!) And I'd like to share some of the sights. Of course, the smells sometimes the most interesting part, but they haven't figured out how to transmit those over the internet (yet) Come to think of it we are probably lucky about that. SPAM would be a whole different demon then. But I digress. This is a picture of the whole market - not very big.




Part of me always new that sprouts grew on stalks...but that doesn't mean I ever really gave up the image of millions of little sprouts growing in rows like miniature cabbages. A minute later there was an adorable little girl investigating them (the stalks were easily 6 inches taller than her) I didn't snap a photo of that though, because her mother didn't look like the sort that would approve.


These two pictures were taken at the Borough Market a few weeks ago...apparently it is open everyday, but it is heaving on Saturdays. And why shouldn't it be? It's hard ot find a place where you can by your fowl with the feathers still attached... and one day I must try Haggis. Ok, and my final weird food pic is a bowl of bubble & squeak that I made the mistake of ordering last night for no reason other than I've never had it. After passing my own judgement on it (hmmm, uhm, yuck), both the Aussie I was dining with and the waiter nodded in agreement. Apparently it's tradtionally all the left overs from Sunday roast dinners (lots of potato and cabbage and random vegetables) thrown in a pan and cooked down until it's browned all over. And I'm told that the name comes from the sounds it supposedly makes when you cook it...but I reckon it stuck because nothing in it is recognisable enough to warrant being part of the name.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sonya said...

I just found out about brussel sprouts too! I really really think that Cabbage Patch Dolls have something to do with our perceptions of this particular veg.

I have yet to go down to the wharf and buy fresh scallops, but if I do, I'll post pictures. Even if I'm buying illegal scallops from a real pirate.

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home